Swarthmore Presbyterian Church
Sanctuary Renovations and Interiors
Swarthmore Presbyterian Church, an active congregation with a beloved arts & crafts style Church dating back to the 1890's, commissioned Daley + Jalboot Architects to assist in modifying their Sanctuary. The chancel, which maintained its aesthetic of quarter sawn white oak from a 1920's renovation, was visually appealing though undersized and inflexible for their needs. D+JA carefully cataloged their existing architectural millwork and built-in furnishings to determine the appropriate extent of reuse. The new chancel utilizes the architectural millwork and modifies the existing fixed pulpit, lectern and clergy chairs, as moveable furnishings to create a flexible space that meets the congregation’s current and future needs. With this project, the Church and D+JA continue a relationship of over forty years that includes a Master Plan, and the Fellowship Hall and Narthex additions.